Who has never heard of blackjack? Indeed, 21 is one of the most popular games of chance and money on the web, and many people are attracted by its simple operation. If the rules of blackjack seem obscure to you, you can take advantage of this article to familiarize yourself with this legendary casino game and learn step by step how to play 21 blackjack. Follow our explanations to make the difference at the tables!
Before starting the game, here’s what you need to know about the rules of blackjack
Before getting to the heart of the matter and answering the question “how to play blackjack”, let’s start with a quick overview of the game.
A game of blackjack is played with a deck of fifty-two cards and a shoe that can hold between 2 and 8 decks of cards depending on the variation. In addition, 7 players can sit around the same blackjack table. However, only one player is required to start a game. Indeed, as the rules of blackjack require, the player plays against the bank, which is symbolized by the dealer.
Let’s now continue our tutorial to understand how blackjack is played, whether in a land-based casino or online.
Let’s take a step-by-step look at how to play blackjack at a casino by following a typical game
It’s time to watch a classic game to better understand how to play blackjack at the casino.
To start a game of blackjack, the dealer and each player will be dealt two cards. The player’s cards will always be face up, while the dealer usually shows only one card. The object of blackjack is to gain the upper hand over the dealer by holding a hand with a card value as close to 21 as possible, but not exceeding that number.
But in order to really understand how to play blackjack, we need to talk about the points that the different cards will earn you. Now let’s take a look at how playing blackjack in a casino will be based on those points.
What the blackjack rules say about card values
As we just said, the rules of blackjack are such that to win, you must score 21 points, or try to get as close to that score as possible.
In order to do this, the different blackjack cards give you a predetermined number of points. The value of the cards in blackjack is therefore distributed as follows:
- Cards that have a number will give you the number of points you score;
- Jacks, Queens and Kings – more commonly known as tricks – are worth 10 points;
- Aces can be worth 1 or 11 points depending on the game’s different situations.
But to play blackjack, you still have to learn the basics: the list of decisions you will be able to make around the table.
Find out how to play blackjack by learning the different actions of the player.
The rules of the blackjack card are still numerous: during the game, you will have the possibility to choose between different decisions. To understand how to play blackjack, players must learn at their fingertips the wide range of actions they can take during the game. There are 6 of them, which we will present to you in detail below:
- Draw: If you feel that the score of your first two cards is insufficient to beat the dealer, you may draw an extra card that will be added to your hand and therefore change its value;
- Staying: If you feel that your hand is higher than the dealer’s hand, then you can stay. This means that the dealer will not deal you an extra card. Thus, the value of your hand will be the same as before;
- Split: When your two cards form a pair, you can split them into two other hands to increase your chances of winning;
- Doubling: In Blackjack, the term “double” means to double your bet. Once you have doubled, the dealer will deal you an extra card;
- Give up: Some versions of blackjack allow you to give up your hand if you feel you cannot win the dealer’s hand. In this case, you will forfeit half of your original bet. A good way to limit losses.
A special blackjack rule: the rule of insurance
The rules of the blackjack card game also allow you to cover your back in a very special case. If the first card turned over by the dealer was to be an Ace, he would have a higher chance of getting blackjack, and you would lose the game. Casinos offer you the option of taking out insurance. To do so, you must reinvest half of your original bet. If the dealer’s second card is actually a 10, giving him a score of 21 points, you would lose your initial bet but win the insurance, which is twice the amount bet after the Ace is drawn.
This concludes our article. Now you don’t have to Google “blackjack how to play blackjack” anymore. “You now know every rule of blackjack thanks to this article!